The Board of Directors is the organization’s governing body. It is entrusted with the authority to establish policy for the governance of Supporting Families Together Association (SFTA). Its members are trustees who act on behalf of SFTA and have the principle responsibility for setting and fulfilling the mission. The board forms the strategic plan to accomplish the mission and oversees and evaluates the plan. The board hires the executive directors, provides support and supervision to the directors, is responsible for the financial solvency and sustainability of the organization by providing proper financial oversight and ensuring adequate resources; and establishes and oversees the organization’s policies and procedures for human resource management.
Board members serve three year terms. The make-up of the board as determined by the organizational by-laws, must include a representative elected by the Child Care Resource & Referral agencies (CCR&Rs) and the Family Resource Centers (FRCs); and should include such consideration as geographical region, community and public and private business leaders, early care and education professionals, and the diverse communities served by the organization.
Review our By-Laws to learn more about our governance and oversight.
Current Board of Directors
Senior Research Associate
Walter R. McDonald & Associates, Inc.
||Family Resource Center Representative
4C Family Center
|Wanda J. Montgomery
President, Black Child Development Institute-Milwaukee Affiliate
|Lana Nenide, MS IMH-E® (IV)
WI Pyramid Model State Coordinator
WI Alliance for Infant Mental Health
Medical Home Project Manager
Children’s Health Alliance of Wisconsin
Trainer & Consultant
Prevention Solutions, LLC
|Andrew J. Turner
Legal Research and Writing Lecturer
University of Wisconsin-Madison, School of Law
Marita Herkert Consulting
What Our Board Members Do
As a statewide organization, SFTA requires many perspectives to be present on the Board of Directors. Not only do we strive to ensure that Wisconsin’s diverse populations and geographic reach are represented, but also a variety of skills and areas of expertise that will contribute to sustaining a strong organization. In addition, our Board of Directors must always include a representative elected by the Child Care Resource and Referral Agencies and the Family Resource Centers as a means to ensure that the organization stays true to its original purpose.
Key Qualifications of Board Members
Each board member must:
- Be committed to SFTA’s mission, vision, and purpose
- Be a current member of Supporting Families Together, on the staff of a current organizational member organization, or be the elected representative of a CCR&R or FRC
- Approach board service to SFTA in a way that serves the organization as a whole, rather than any segment of the constituency
- Have no financial or personal interest, direct or indirect, that may pose a conflict of interest or may be otherwise incompatible with proper discharge of fiduciary duties as a Board member
Primary Responsibilities of Board Members
Each board member is expected to:
- Review agenda and materials prior to meetings
- Attend quarterly board meetings
- Attend one day and a half long retreat/planning meeting each year
- Actively participate on one board committee via teleconference bi-monthly
- Participate in new board orientation at the start of the term on the board
- Make a financial commitment to SFTA at a level comfortable to the individual member
- Keep up to date on developments that may affect the organization
- Inform others about the work of SFTA
- Suggest potential nominees to the board
If you are interested in becoming a board member, find out how to join SFTA’s team.
Our Commitment to Transparency and Accountability
As a nonprofit organization that utilizes both public and private resources, we are committed to transparency and accountability in our programming and our operations. GuideStar is a nonprofit organization with a mission of revolutionizing philanthropy by providing information that advances transparency, enables users to make better decisions and encourages charitable giving. SFTA is proud to have earned GuideStar Exchange’s Gold Standard through increased transparency and accountability.