Child care providers can receive funds to purchase high quality materials through the YoungStar Micro-Grant Program.
Current order status:
Open programs: We are currently processing materials orders received 12/17/20. Please note that orders may experience delays due to COVID-19. Thank you for your patience.
Programs temporarily closed due to COVID-19: Orders are on hold.
*Updated weekly on Friday
YoungStar micro-grants are available to child care programs that accept technical assistance from a YoungStar Technical Consultant. This is an excellent opportunity to purchase items or services that support your program’s Quality Improvement Plan (QIP).
The amount of micro-grant funding you receive will be determined by your type of child care program:
|$200||Short-Term Operational Program|
|$250||Certified Family Child Care Program|
|$500||Licensed Family Child Care Program|
|$1000||Licensed Group Child Care Program & School-Age Program|
Your micro-grant can be used in a number of ways to support the quality of your child care program. Common purchases are:
- Child materials that align with program curriculum
- Equipment or furniture that strengthens the care environment
- Trainings for staff professional development
- Staff or substitute time to support quality improvement work
- Services such as contractors/builders
- Additional technical consultation hours, through YoungStar or outside consultants
- Registry fees
- Accreditation cost reimbursement
Your Technical Consultant will help identify creative ways you can use your micro-grant funds to implement areas identified in your Quality Improvement Plan and support your overall program. Check out our tip sheets for more ideas!
An eligible program must:
- Actively participate in technical consultation with a YoungStar Technical Consultant (Accredited programs should contact their local YoungStar office to ask about receiving consultation)
- Have completed 80% of minimum number of yearly on-site consultation hours available (except short-term programs)
- Create a Quality Improvement Plan (QIP) with a Technical Consultant based on a self-assessment
A program may receive one micro-grant per service year, as funding allows, if the program continues to meet all YoungStar and micro-grant guidelines and expectations, as outlined by the policies of the Department of Children and Families and the Micro-Grant Program at SFTA. See full eligibility criteria in the Micro-Grant Handbook.
To apply for a micro-grant, contact your YoungStar Technical Consultant. Application forms should be submitted to your Technical Consultant, who will review and submit them to Micro-Grant Program staff.
Micro-Grant Program staff will notify you when your application is processed. In most cases, the requested materials will be purchased by Micro-Grant staff.
For speedy processing, remember to make PLANS on your Purchase Plan!
|P||Put specific information — Include necessary product details such as size or color.|
|L||List items in groups by vendor.|
|A||Add extras — Include $200-$300 worth of extra items, just in case. (Complete the box on page 3 of your Purchase Plan.)|
|N||Number of vendors: 2 for Family programs; 3 for Group and School-Age programs.|
|S||Show us what to substitute for unavailable items. (Use the optional section on page 3 of your Purchase Plan.)|