The 2017 Small Change Makes a BIG Difference Teach-a-Thon is at an end. Together with our CCR&R and FRC agency members, we trained over 1,900 Wisconsin adults in child abuse and neglect prevention. Stay tuned for information on our April 2018 Teach-a-Thon! Meanwhile, visit our training calendar for child abuse and neglect prevention trainings happening year-round.
How does the Small Change Makes a BIG Difference Teach-a-Thon work?
In coordination with Child Abuse and Neglect Prevention month, SFTA and member organizations plan multiple child abuse and neglect prevention trainings throughout the month of April. Trainings are open to our usual audiences of child care providers and families, but also to businesses, police and/or fire departments, hospitals, and other work and community settings. SFTA and member organizations ask our previous and potential donors to contribute towards child abuse and neglect prevention during the month of April to help us increase the number of adults prepared to prevent child abuse and neglect, keeping in mind that even small change can make a big difference in our efforts. Every donor will receive a tax receipt, since all donations made to SFTA are 100% tax-deductible. SFTA strives to build systems and supports that prevent child abuse and neglect and promote quality early childhood experiences for all Wisconsin children. Therefore, Teach-a-Thon funds will be used to:
- Provide technical assistance to community-based organizations committed to young children.
- Support focused advocacy efforts for young children and their families.
- Build a reserve so that children and families in Wisconsin can always count on SFTA.
- Fund innovative, local initiatives that have big impacts for young children.
Help us reach our training goal and disseminate vital tools and information about child abuse and neglect prevention. Participate in a child abuse and neglect prevention training by planning one through your work or by attending a planned community training. Check our training calendar for upcoming trainings in your area or contact your local CCR&R starting in February of 2018 and no later than March 20, 2018 to find out about setting up a training at your work or community gathering.
Can’t attend a training right now?
Help prevent child abuse and neglect in WI by making a donation or becoming a Teach-a-Thon sponsor! Learn more about becoming a sponsor here. To donate by mail and make a pledge per person trained, please contact Kelly@supportingfamiliestogether.org, or make a one time donation online below. (Please note that our previous donors will receive an envelope to make a pledge donation prior to the Teach-a-Thon’s start).
Want to know more about preventing child abuse and neglect?
- The Children’s Bureau at the Federal Department of Health and Human Services provides their 2016 Prevention Resource Guide, to support community-based child abuse prevention professionals.
- Read about the 5 Protective Factors.
- Check out actions you can take to help support child abuse and neglect prevention as a parent, community partner, or child-focused program.
- Click the image below to view several National Child Abuse Prevention Month resources.
Learn more about the lasting effects of child abuse and neglect, and early toxic stress: